Browsing Category

Educational Terms

Educational Terms

What is the Note in Lieu?


Now you will find out what a Note in Lieu actually is and what the implications of it are.  Outlined are what will have happened to get to this stage in the special needs process, with future actions parents are entitled to take.

What is the Note in Lieu? 

When your child reaches Stage 4 they will be assessed.  As explained before, not all children go on to have a Statement of Special Educational Needs.  If this is the case, the LEA may issue a Note in Lieu.  This is a document that will describe the nature of your child’s Special Educational Needs and will explain why the LEA has decided not to give your child a Statement.  It will outline the help that your school is expected to provide for your child.

note in lieu

All of the advice that was used to make the decision will be sent along with the Note in Lieu.  Your schools SENCO, Head teacher and your child’s class teacher will have access to the information, as will any other professional that is engaged in working with your child.  The information ensures that all parties concerned in the delivery of education to your child are aware of the special needs your child has.

There will still be regular meetings to discuss your child’s progress and they will remain on the schools Special Educational Needs register.  The process does not stop.  There is still the opportunity for the school to make recommendations to the LEA.  If you feel unhappy about the provision, there may be grounds to appeal. You can appeal to the Special Educational Needs Tribunal.


Educational Terms

Top 20 terms used in Special Education


1) Annual Review Statement 

An Annual review of your child’s Special Educational Needs must be made at least once a year. It is to confirm that the Statement of Special Educational Needs continues to be valid, and to check on your child’s progress through out the year.

2) Code of Practice 

This is produced by the Government. It has been written to guide the school and the LEA. It gives guidance about the help that they should offer to children, and the LEA and the school should refer to this when they are working with yourself and your child. There should be a copy of the Code of Practice in your child’s school and there should be the opportunity for you to see this to inform you about Special Educational Needs provision.

3) Educational Psychologist

This is a professional who has had previous experience as a teacher. They have specialised in how children learn and behave. They will work in partnership with parents, children and the teachers to help them overcome the difficulties they may have.

4) Health Visitor

The Health Visitor is someone who you will have already had contact with when your child was small. They have been trained in child development. S/He may be attached to your doctors surgery and will have assessed your child at regular intervals. They are generally friendly and approachable. They may visit you in your home to give you advice and support.

5) Individual Education Plan (IEP)

special education pic

This is a plan produced specifically for your child. It is a plan outlining what will be taught to the child with Special Educational Needs. It sets realistic, achievable targets for your child. There is also a time scale showing when the targets set are expected to be achieved. There will be regular reviews. You, as parents, are invited to attend the review meetings and contribute your thoughts. All of the professionals involved in drawing up and implementing the IEP will attend the review meeting.

6) Primary Support Teaching Service

This is centralised service. They provide specialists to mainstream schools to help them with the children who have a range of learning difficulties. They give the schools advice on the planning and the implementation of the Individual Education Plans. They may also be involved in the teaching of some of these children, either in small group situations or on an individual basis.

7) Local Education Authority (LEA)

This is your local government body that are responsible for education. They also intervene to make statutory assessments and implement the child’s statement.

8) Learning Support Assistant (LSA)

These are the people that help to carry out some of the individual or group work needed by your child. They are under the direction of the class teacher or the SENCO. They help to implement your child’s IEP. They will be involved in the review of your child’s IEP.

9) Named Officer

This is someone who works for the LEA. They will know about your child’s assessment and they will be able to speak with you about it.

10) Named Person

You are able to choose someone to help you with the assessment process. It can be a friend, a relative or it can be someone from an independent organisation. They are there to specifically help and support you.

11) Note in Lieu

This is detailed report sent to you if your LEA has completed a statutory assessment but have decided not to issue a statement.

12) Paediatrician

This is a doctor that specialises in working with children.

13) Physiotherapist

A Physiotherapist may be involved in working with you child if they have difficulties with movement. They will be able to advise parents and teachers about suitable exercises for your child.

14) Special Educational Needs

A child is deemed to have Special Educational Needs if they have a difficulty with learning which warrants special educational provision.

15) Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO)

education special 2

The SENCO is a teacher within your child’s school. It may be that your child’s teacher is the SENCO. They support the other teachers in the school and devise IEP’s and work materials to help the children. All mainstream schools must have a SENCO.

16) Special Educational Needs Register 

This is a confidential document of all of the children in the school that have Special Educational Needs. All schools must keep a register of all children with Special Educational Needs.

17) Specialist Advisory Teacher

This is someone who has specialist knowledge of differing difficulties. There are teachers that specialise in the teaching of children with hearing difficulties or those with sight impairment. They will be able to support, advise and co-ordinate the teaching of these children in the mainstream classroom.

18) Speech Therapist

Speech Therapists work with all of the people involved in the direct teaching of individual children who have speech and language difficulties. They also advise parents, giving them strategies to improve their child’s communication difficulties. They may also help the individual child in school.

19) Statement of Special Educational Needs

This is legal document. It states exactly what a child’s Special Educational Needs are and the way in which the LEA will provide help to meet the needs of your child.

20) Statutory Assessment

This is the way in which your LEA will find out all of the information it needs to find out how best to help your child. This assessment will help them to decide whether or not to issue a Statement of Special Educational Needs.